Monday, March 29, 2010

A Social Observation - Sounding Smarter than you Actually are VERSION 2

Today's post shall be short and rather controversial (not really but it let's me say i told you so if you disagree).

Let me equip you:
per se
so forth
and so on
so to speak

Using these terms at the right time in a casual manner is the key to sounding like you know more than you actually do. They also allow you to not have to think deeply about what you're saying.I have witnessed the use of these phrases first hand this semester at uni in one of my lectures. These are terms that no one really thinks about when people use them in everyday language.

Try them in any sentence.
Eg: Ford make the best cars in Australia  due to their quality standards, customer orientation , competitive pricing and so on.

And so on? Tell me more. Oh wait, you can't actually think of anything else but i am going to just believe that you know more about this topic.

Eg: Generation Y employees are more likely to change careers and jobs more frequently than Gen X per se.

Per se?Per se? Shut your mouth you aren't that smart.

Eg: People put on weight due to a lack of exercise, unhealthy lifestyle, bad eating habits and so on.
and so on? What else is there?

*A note before you reply (this is specifically directed at someone with the initials M.H whom i know is going to argue this )
#1. I don't want some dumb reply about how you can't use them in every sentence and so on.
#2. I don't want a list of other reasons why people put onweight ie: binge eating, genetics and so forth.




Much lotty love all.

3 comments:

  1. my business here is only to agree with you whole heartedly. i smiled and laughed at this blog, it is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say, I've never hear any of my science lecturers drop any of those phrases, but arts lecturers do on occasion use them. Then again, arts lecturers make a living off sounding smarter than they are, so can you really blame them for using the tools of their trade?

    ReplyDelete